Tuesday, October 18, 2011

ch-ch-ch-changes

It's been a while since I've posted, so here is the rundown. Since July 2011, I have:

1. moved to San Francisco
2. eaten a lot and drank a lot
3. gained 10 lbs
4. seen everything change at work
5. seen everything change at work again. Today.
6. ended 3-day-old diet to eliminate 10 lbs in order to drink in the daytime on a bocce ball court. Today

As of tomorrow, I have a new boss, new clients, new everything. I've never met my boss before and I'm apprehensive - I haven't heard anything bad about this new person, but nothing good about her either. And, once again, I'm reporting to a woman. *Sigh.* Despite his faults, it was good to have a male boss for a bit. Sometimes women just don't like me. Must be the boobs?

The main issue with this woman is that she is a level down from old boss, so I'm a bit worried that I'm going to be relegated to shit work again for the next year. I'm not opposed to shit work as a general thing, but I am opposed to the fact that those who do shit work are expected to be on call 24/7 to accomplish said shit work at a moment's notice, and I'm sorry, but I'm not doing that again, at least when it comes to HR shit work. That stuff doesn't mean enough to me anymore to put my life/sleep pattern/TV schedule on hold for it. If I leave and go to a new industry/team/life, then, yes, I will start over at the bottom of the totem pole and will expect to be accountable for all things at all times, but I haven't been promoted twice in three years to regress two steps backward now at this company and in this role by making fucking HR decks no one will read at 1 am on a Tuesday.

I dunno, I guess part of me feels like I royally fucked myself over by moving to SF. I undoubtedly would have been given a very different role today had I remained in NY, likely a meatier one. That combined with the gaining of the Ten Pounds of Shame makes me worry that I made the wrong decision this summer. Then again, would I really be happier in NY right now? I would probably still have roommates (UGH DEATH) and still be sitting with some toxic people at work. I don't know, I'm almost home on the shuttle and am going to go for a run to clear my head. Maybe things will make more sense later.


2 comments:

  1. ugh why does our company change everything all the time?! curious to hear who you're reporting to and what the changes mean. i think things will become clearer as time goes on. don't panic right away - you never know, the change could be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should give up on being serious about work and make your job you. Concentrate on your mental and physical health. Make that your job. Put all your energy into that. Everything else will fall into place one way or another.

    ReplyDelete